Perfect New Year’s Eve Mess

I had my new year’s eve all planned out. It was going to be perfect! I would make homemade peanut butter ice cream, eat it before midnight, all while watching a movie with my favorite fiance, David. Little did I know that my perfect new year’s eve plan (which I thought to be fairly simple) would be more involved than I had anticipated.

I had gone to the grocery store earlier on in the day to gather all the ingredients needed for my peanut butter ice cream. I wasn’t about to get home and have my perfect new year’s eve plan delayed because I had to go back to the store for a missing ingredient. With all my ingredients ready, it was finally time to start my perfect new year’s eve.

7:00pm: The mixing of the ingredients had started. It wasn’t until I had read through the rest of the first paragraph of the instructions however, that I realized my ice cream batter must sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before the next step of pouring it into my ice cream maker. Into the refrigerator went the ice cream batter.

8:15pm: Impatient as I am, I figured an hour and fifteen minutes to be close enough to 1-2 hours and it would be more than okay for me to continue my ice cream making process. As I read through the start of the second paragraph of the instructions, it was then that I realized the bowl that sits inside the ice cream maker must be completely frozen. Into the freezer went the bowl.

9:30pm: After realizing my parents weren’t going to stay up until midnight, I decided to move the whole ice cream making process out to the refrigerator in my room. On the way to my room I managed to spill ice cream batter all over the floor. At this point, I was nothing short of upset and just wanted to get the ice cream mess cleaned up and into my room to watch a movie with David.

9:40pm: Walking into my room, still somewhat upset, David had “set the mood” for our movie. The main light in my room was turned off and my desk lamp was on for romantic lighting. He also had a freshly burnt bag of pop corn waiting for me (explaining that it was burnt because he cooked it in the microwave for a second time with the intent of keeping it warm).

11:04pm: With the movie paused, I checked the bowl to the ice cream maker which to my surprise was finally frozen. I might get homemade ice cream before midnight after all! Pouring the batter into the bowl and turning the ice cream maker on, we then realized just how loud the machine was. There would be no way we would be able to hear the rest of the movie with it on. The great idea then came to David’s mind to put the ice cream maker in the bathroom and shut the door. This is just what we did!

11:35pm: It was time to pour in the cut up Reese’s Peanut Butter cups into the ice cream mix.

11:42pm: Four hours and forty-two minutes later we finally ate our homemade peanut butter ice cream (with the box claiming that it “takes 25 minutes from start to finish”) while watching the last part of our movie, all with time to spare before the New Year’s Eve ball dropped. Even with the mess and time delay, it turned out to be the perfect New Year’s Eve.


3 thoughts on “Perfect New Year’s Eve Mess

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s